Recognising employees through a structured, well managed reward and recognition program is a great way to boost staff morale and motivation.
It is well known that highly engaged employees are those who find meaning in their work and whose efforts are recognised and rewarded with meaningful gifts. However, it’s important to value the power of a simple ‘thank you‘.
Whether it’s a smile, handshake or simple gesture, informal recognition acts to reinforce your company values and encourages repetition of desired behaviours. Additionally, it complements any formal reward and recognition practices already in place.
We’ve put together a list of 9 ways you can thank your employees for their efforts and boost morale in your workplace:
- Give your team and peers credit for the innovative ideas they come up with, particularly when passing their ideas on to management.
- Ask a senior manager to call or visit an employee at their desk to thank them for a job well done.
- Publicly recognise an employee’s achievements in front of peers at staff meetings
- Leave a thank you note on their desk or send them a personalised thank you email outlining why you are appreciative of their hard work.
- Give special assignments or increase the responsibility of those that show initiative.
- Create a pin board for staff recognition, photos and goal setting to display progress towards milestones.
- Attend the first meeting of a special project and express your appreciation for the project team’s involvement. Ensure you thank them at the end as well.
- Reinforce any positive remarks you have heard from other colleagues by repeating them to the person to which they relate.
- Organise a ‘bake-off’ or similar event where team members each contribute a dish and get together to celebrate a great accomplishment.