Gone are the days when employees come to work just for their pay cheque. All employees (especially Gen Y’s) want to feel valued and that their work really is making a difference.
If you are finding it difficult to motivate your youngest employees, try these 5 recognition tips to keep them engaged and inspired.
- Give public recognition. Saying thanks in front of a Gen Y’s peers and colleagues does wonders for Gen Y’s sense of contribution. Gen Y’s like to feel a sense of accomplishment and saying thanks in this environment will do just that.
- Give instant recognition. Thanking a Gen Y for a job well done 3 months after the work is complete is a sure fire way to disengage your Gen Y employees. Gen Y’s want things to happen ASAP so ideally you want to be recognising them within 3 days of the desired behaviour being displayed.
- Have a wide variety of rewards on offer. The last thing a Gen Y wants is having a reward forced on them that they don’t like. Make sure there are a range of rewards for them to choose from as this will ensure there is something to appeal to all tastes and interests.
- Invest in training. Gen Y’s love to learn so offering to send them on courses and training is an excellent way to reward their hard work and efforts.
- Show them what their work matters. How is their work impacting the department, organisation and community as a whole? Recognising and telling Gen Y’s that they effort is noticed and is making a difference will make a huge impact to their engagement.