What professional firms need to know about their people
People who work in professional services are different. They are knowledge workers. And, they’re unique!
- They are the means of production. They own it, because it is them.
- The office is their servant not their master. They don’t need to be in the office to do their work.
- Effectiveness is more important (to everyone) than efficiency.
- The business (employer) needs them more than they need the employer.
- You never know how long they will stay with you. It’s easy to do what they do elsewhere.
What are you doing to attract knowledge workers to your firm? What are you doing to retain the knowledge workers who are with you at the moment?